Monday, April 19, 2010

For the Love of Asian Food!

When Nate and I first arrived back in September, the last thing we wanted was Asian food of any kind -- no rice, no noodles! But, as time as gone on, we have started "craving" Asian food. Actually, we are starting to have conversations that go like this:

"You know what I am craving?"
"What?"
"Clay pot rice with the roasted chicken leg."
"Mmmm, sounds good. I would do anything for a hong dou boazi (red bean paste filled steamed bun) or a peanut zongzi (sticky rice formed in the shape of a cone with peanuts)".
"Oh, or a grilled sweet potato from off the street!"
Etc...

Yeah, so we are actually craving "some" chinese food, although neither one of us craves stir-fry at all!

So, we have been craving Asian food, but not enough to go eat at a Chinese buffet. However, we do have some favorites around that we enjoy eating at. One is called "Pho" which is a Vietnamese place. Very authentic and so good! The other is a Thai place that we just found last week. Tastes just like what we ate in Thailand. Here are some pictures of what we ate:


For our appetizer, shrimp spring rolls -- one of my absolutely favorite dishes on Earth!


This was my soup -- had big chunks of chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, lemongrass, etc. Served with jasmine rice, which is my favorite kind of rice -- not the rice that you have in your pantries!


This was Nate's dish -- chicken curry with Asian eggplant. Very spicy, but of course, perfect for Nate. Also served with rice.

On another note, Tristan slept for 6 1/2 hours straight last night! We had a tough time getting him down -- didn't get him down until 9:00, but he slept until 3:30! Maybe soon he will be sleeping completely through the night -- we shall see :)

7 comments:

  1. Yum! That actually looks pretty good to me, too, except I'm not so sure about the shrimp spring rolls. What are they wrapped it -- looks like something that needs to be cooked first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also YEA!!!!!! that Tristan slept 6-1/2 hours straight. He is maturing every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shrimp roll looks good to me! (Once you explained it was a shrimp roll. ha!)

    I have yet to try a Thai place, but I know that Andy & Josh and their wives love Thai. =)

    It is kind of funny that you are craving that type of food now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just ate at P.F. Changs for lunch - DELICIOUS - but I'm sure their type of Chinese food isn't anything like what you ate....but it's the only kind I like.

    YEAH on 6-1/2 hours for Tristan!! Good boy.

    Andy just called and they had just left the doctor and Carman is dilated to a 5 - shocked -- but we are all very excited!!! Keep them in your prayers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for 6 1/2 hours of sleep!!! Hope he keeps it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gross. And again, gross. But....my Asian food intake is WAY higher than my western food intake right now. I know that there are definitely things I will crave, but not now!!!

    Happy you are getting more sleep with that cute boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several people on Andy's FB and Carm's have suggested going to get a pedicure? Something to do with the pressure points in your feet? I had never heard of that before... but you know. Lots of things people have been suggesting, I have never heard of before!

    All in all, we know it is just coincidence. The only thing that really works is Pitocin (spelling?) ha! But I suppose it is fun to participate in the wives tales anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete